Sunday, October 5, 2008

Fresh Meat

It's always nice to see wide-eyed, eager, fresh-faced freshers stepping into tertiary education in medicine. They turn up to lectures on time, do all the late night studying of anatomy that is required of them, ask questions in class - basically they are just very, very keen.

Also, it's nice to then break their spirit and drag them down to your level. The level where everyday you wake up and wonder, why the hell did I choose to do medicine dammit as yet another nice old lady vomits on your shoes. Misery needs company.

Sometimes I'd like to tell them to run while they still can. I'd listen to their complaints about the timetable and teaching and tell them the sad truth. 9 o'clock lectures getting you down? Wait till you go to critical care where the outreach team starts their day at 7.30am.

I tell them to quit their whining, they are having it easy because their syllabus has changed and they don't have to do the extra modules and essays that we had to do, during my time.

Nothing says seniority more than those three words. During my time.

Makes me feel old, all these 1990 babies. They are from a completely different era!

Anyways.

Dibs on at least one of these eager freshers switching to Philosophy by next Wednesday. Any other bets?

No comments: