Thursday, October 2, 2008

The Many Roles of A Medical Student

I think being a medical student can be a very versatile job. You never know what the nurse, junior doctor, registrar or consultant is going to tell you to do next.

During my medical student career I've been a whole lot of things - wallpaper, retractor holder, phlebotomist for an entire ward, kidney dish holder, personal assistant, chart finder, clerking machine, coffee and toast maker, x-ray form filler - you name it.

Today however, I was given a role I never thought could possibly exist.

I was the protector of testicles.

It was an orthopaedic list, the x-ray machine was used, and the anaesthetist who wasn't wearing a lead coat quickly ducked behind me, saying "Ok don't move I need you to protect my testicles."

The surgeon who had taken his lead coat off and left it somewhere while his registrar went on with the hammering soon followed suit, ducking behind the anaesthetist who was ducking behind me - and I can only imagine this to be a very comical sight of two full grown men hiding behind a medical student half their size.

I guess this could be considered a rather noble role of ensuring that there will be a next generation to look forward to. Their future children damn well better be thanking me.

No comments: