Friday, September 19, 2008

It's the weekend! Or not.

I have signed myself up for 3 days of pre-hospital trauma course organised by the faculty, whilst they insist it is not compulsory it sure does sound like it - medschool has a way of doing things like that.

Basically it's a 3 day course teaching us the ropes of pre-hospital trauma life support, which cumulates to a written and practical exam on Sunday which would hopefully see me getting a certificate saying that I am trained in trauma life support.

I've picked up the course material and read through select sections of it, actually just the "what to do when caught in a shootout" section, because that sounds like it could be very useful information to know.

And I feel like sharing it with the general public. So! What I've learnt in a nutshell:
In a shootout, never hide in police/ambulance cars because they make easy visual targets for the shooters. Unlike what they tell you in movies, cars make for very bad cover. Bullets can go straight through them. If you need to take cover behind a car, the engine block is your friend. What you really want to be doing when caught in cross fire is to keep as much distance as possible between you and the scene.

Also, police dogs can't tell the difference between good and bad guys.
End community service message.

On a sidenote, I wonder whether it's any reflection on our society today that our trauma course teaches us how to approach a scene of violence and riots.

No comments: