Monday, September 1, 2008

Today in GP Land

I sometimes find that the strangest things happen in General Practice Land.
"What can I do for you today sir?"
"I need an appointment letter for hospital."
"It's written here that we have requested another letter to be sent, you should've gotten it by now."
"My dog ate it."
"Yes, and we asked for another letter for you."
"It came this morning and my dog ate it."
"You mean he ate it again?"
"He's eaten 3 of my appointment letters."
"What kind of dog is it?"
Student-led surgeries, in theory, are a good opportunity to put into practice things that you've learnt in medical school. But the harsh reality is all you ever get in your two hour a week slots are people coming in for repeat prescriptions and people with runny noses demanding antibiotics.

Sometimes it's not just about knowing the diagnosis and treating the patient. Sometimes it really is just differentiating those who really need help from those you can offer reassurance to and send them on their way.

It was a Shihtzu, by the way.

1 comment:

El Chrissy said...

My shihtzu never ate my homework!