Sunday, September 28, 2008

Why anyone shouldn't be a doctor

In a phone conversation with my parents the other day, my mum asked if I had enough money to survive, after paying the extortionate amount that is my tuition fees.

I will do, if people click on the adverts *hint hint*.

Anyways, one of the FY1s showed us her paycheck the other day. Even the consultant was shocked by the amount, because it was the same amount he used to get as a house officer. Over 30 years ago. The cost of living has most definitely risen since then, but not our wages. Figures.

My friend who is on a placement year gets the same amount. In fact, most of the auxiliary staff in hospital get the same amount, if not more.

I wonder whether it's too late to reconsider another career path.

All you wannabe medics out there, heed my words, the life of a doctor is not all glamourous as it seems. You're generally overworked, unappreciated and underpaid. And hugely in debt.

Back to the phone conversation with my mum, I was half expecting her to say something along the lines of, "If you don't have enough money, you can ask me for some."

Instead she said, "If you don't have enough money, go ask your brother for some."

I suppose this is one of the reasons they are happy he's got a job.

4 comments:

El Chrissy said...

Nyan, I guess teh money will be good in the future! Like the one that buys boats =.=

Chee said...

maybe you can buy us all boats in the future :D I could design it for you.. but then I wouldn't want to sit in it.

Nicholas said...

Funny enough... i did say that to him when he got his job... "now you can fulfill your brotherly duties and support your sister..." or something along those lines...

Anonymous said...

You feel bad!!
Atleast you GET PAID! Here in Egypt, as students we work in the hospital for FREE!!!!
Something alot like the slave industry! Lock a few thousand kids in hospital and work them to death each year!!
But gotta admit we don't pay tuition here....so it's kinda fair we only get the real money when we become real doctors!