Saturday, September 13, 2008

In a Galaxy Far Far Away

I am so addicted to this, it is taking up my life.

Star Wars: The Complete Saga

And to think I've only completed, like, 20% of the game so far.

Everyone I've introduced the game to are thanking me for bringing them to the dark side.

Speak
ing of addiction, I may very well be an internet addict according to this criteria.
  • Do you feel preoccupied with the internet (think about previous online activity or anticipate next online session)?
    • I'm online all the time. What's there to anticipate?
  • Do you feel the need to use the internet with increasing amounts of time in order to achieve satisfaction?
    • I need to use it all the time... mmm internet. And using the terminology "achieve satisfaction" just... sounds wrong.
  • Have you repeatedly made unsuccessful efforts to control, cut back, or stop internet use?
    • I've never bothered trying. So I suppose that's repeatedly unsuccessful attempts.
  • Do you feel restless, moody, depressed, or irritable when attempting to cut down or stop internet use?
    • Hahaha... yes.
  • Do you stay online longer than originally intended?
    • There is no such thing as "longer than originally intended". I'm on all the time.
  • Have you jeopardised or risked the loss of a significant relationship, job, educational or career opportunity because of the internet?
    • Uh. Would it sound really pathetic if I said yes? What can I say, I'm antisocial to begin with.
  • Have you lied to family members, therapist, or others to conceal the extent of involvement with the internet?
    • Does anyone really care how involved I am with the internet?
  • Do you use the internet as a way of escaping from problems or of relieving a dysphoric mood (for example, feelings of helplessness, guilt, anxiety, depression)?
    • I have a freaking blog. What do you think?
Although to be fair this criteria is based on the pathological gambling criteria, and internet addiction is not really recognised as being a mental health issue as it is not being considered for the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Health (DSM V).

Also the criteria was written in the age of dial-up and 56k modems.

Are you an internet addict? You need to answer 'yes' to five or more of those questions. Tell me your results in the comments!

2 comments:

Chee said...

hmm... my answer would probably be yes to all of them except for 3 where I actually "fasted" from the computer before! :o

Anonymous said...

Come play frissbee sometime in the park!